The government provides funding of £150 million per annum to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport - is allocated to primary school headteachers.
This funding is ring-fenced and can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
At Callicroft Primary the sports funding has allowed us to improve the provision of PE and sport for our pupils as follows:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers, dance teachers and qualified sports coaches to work with our own teachers when teaching PE
- Accessing professional development opportunities for our teachers in PE and sport
- Running sport competitions and increasing pupils' participation in school games
- Providing after school and lunch time clubs for pupils
- Pooling the additional funding with other local schools
Sports Funding Spending Plan 2018/19
PE and Sports Funding Impact Report 2018-19
UK Government website - PE and sport premium for primary schools.