The government provides funding of £320 million per annum to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools.
This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport - is allocated to primary school headteachers.
This funding is ring-fenced and can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
At Callicroft , the sports funding has allowed us to improve the provision of PE and sport for our pupils as follows:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers, dance teachers and qualified sports coaches to work with our own teachers when teaching PE
- Accessing professional development opportunities for our teachers in PE and sport
- Running sport competitions and increasing pupils' participation in school games
- Providing after school and lunch time clubs for pupils
- Pooling the additional funding with other local schools
Sports Funding Spending Plan 2020-21
PE and Sports Funding Impact Report 2019-20
UK Government website - PE and sport premium for primary schools.